Skip to main content

Quilting Milestone! I am so excited....






This weekend I finished two quilts. These are very special quilts. I have made lots of very small quilts, mostly made to frame embroidery or cross stitch. I've finished two larger quilts both to hang on the wall. But this weekend I finished two quilts, both of which are for snuggling under on the sofa and neither of which have any embroidery . And both are machine quilted by me! It's really important for me to learn how to quilt my own quilts. I'm never going to be able to afford to send my quilts out to be long-arm quilted, so if I can't do it myself, I might as well stop buying fabric right now - this is why I am so excited! (And this is how I justified my new sewing machine)!

First off is the animal quilt. This is a small quilt for a little boy called Aidan. It's six pre-printed panels with complementary fabric. Not rocket science. But it is the first quilt I have machine quilted on my new machine. To keep it simple I quilted round the printed lines on the panels.
Then the real achievement: 12 pieced sampler blocks from a Countdown to Christmas Jelly Roll. Sashing. Corner posts. Border. Pieced back that I love as much as the front. MACHINE QUILTED!!! Bound. I am snuggling up on the sofa with this quilt as I write. I cannot tell you how excited I am.

Here's the front and the back:
I wanted to do free motion quilting, but this needs a lot more practice (I've signed up for lots of practice next year with the 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge), so the quilting on this was wavy lines, randomly stitched acorss the width of the quilt. This was enough or me for my first attempt. Hopefully you can see the quilting from this photo. The biggest challenge was managing this amount and weight of fabric. I've learnt a lot of lessons just from this one piece. Unfortunately the photos are taken indoors - I can't wait till next weekend to photograph them outside, and I leave for work in the dark and come back from work in the dark...

And I have a cushion to match and loads of leftover fabric to make Christmas tree ornaments: check out Leanne's tutorial here.

Comments

SewCalGal said…
Jennie,

Sorry to leave you a message here, but I wanted to let you know you have your settings as a no reply blogger. You may want to check your settings. Let me know if you need help.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more