Skip to main content

Bloggers Quilt Festival [Rhubarb and Custard]

I really enjoy this time of year - so many pretty quilts to look at and so much inspiration. This is my fifth Bloggers Quilt Festival and this time I knew exactly which quilt I wanted to enter.

If you pop by my blog occasionally, you will have seen this quilt a few times recently as its a recent finish, but definitely not a recent start!

This quilt is special for a number of reasons. It was one of the first quilts I ever started. It was a class at a quilt shop - we spent the whole class cutting the fabric and then were sent away to make a QAYG quilt with just an A4 sheet of instructions. Even to this day I don't know how we were supposed to assemble the quilt as the original design, unless we cut narrow strips of wadding and spent hours fiddling on.

Given the start, this was a project which got picked up every six months and I did a little bit more, but with no way of finishing the quilt I was never ver inspired. On the plus side, I absolutely love the fabrics and still do. They are from Benartex in the most part, with a few others thrown in to tone down the fabulous vivid patterns.

Then at the start of the year I decided to take part in the Skill Builder BOM and there was a link to a Leah Day video on how to join QAYG blocks. And I suddenly knew how to finish this quilt.

Fast-forward to September and I picked it up again as part of the six-month-cycle. I was working on it the day we discovered we were expecting a little girl in February next year and that was the final push I needed. This quilt will hang in her nursery.

So - it's special because it will be for my little girl. It was also the first time I had attempted a large number of the techniques - reverse applique, hand quilting, QAYG.... and although it isn't perfect, I can see the learning curve I went on - that's what this wonderful quilting journey is about, isn't it?

The quilt is approximately 30" x 41"
The patterned fabrics are all from Benartex Sweethearts range (I think). I added in some calmer fabrics as well, but I have no idea what they are. I don't know what the brown sashing is either.
Techniques: Reverse applique, quilt-as-you-go, hand sashing techniques, hand quilting.
Started: Summer 2010. Finished: September 2013.

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Comments

Lin said…
I still love this quilt! Gorgeous colours. Good luck.
CitricSugar said…
Absolutely darling!
Sue Wild said…
Fabulous colours. A lovely quilt
Leanne said…
This is a beautiful quilt, it is wonderful to see it all finished and in the festival.
Collette said…
love this and the colours! x
Conni said…
I love all the hearts, I am a sucker for hearts, and great colors too
Renee said…
What a sweet quilt! I'm sure your little girl will treasure it for many years to come.
Hannele said…
What a sweet story - as is the quilt, too!
Rachaeldaisy said…
What a beautiful quilt and such lovely story! I love that you finally finished the quilt and that the timing is perfect for you to hang in your daughters room.

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more