Skip to main content

Scraptastic Tuesday

I haven't played with scraps since we  moved house, as the box was well and truly buried, but after some scrap swapping at the first meet up of the North East Modern Quilt Guild I vowed to make some time and find the box.

Well it turned out to be two boxes... so I set up with my machine and a plan to make a dent. And a one-hour basket. It will be my second - I made my first a few weeks ago and I love it.


By the end of Sunday I had one of the two panels I needed. It took far longer than planned - I think I over-thought it a bit... hopefully I can learn to let go a bit more and just grab the next scrap...



And here is half of panel two. Not quite a basket yet....

The plan is lots of these baskets, but all in one colour way. I'm more likely to use my scraps (I think) if they are sorted by colour, so I want a basket for each colour to replace the carrier bag system currently in place. This multi-coloured one will be the basket next to my sewing machine for everyday scrap collection, before they are sorted.

I'm going to link up with Leanne and Nicky and hope to continue making a dent in my scraps over the next few months.

Comments

Lin said…
It all sounds very organised Jennie - pretty basket and your scraps are looking good together. xx
What a wonderful idea to use scraps and beautiful color and fabric combinations.
Greetings,
Sylvia
Nicky said…
Love the idea - so much prettier than a plastic bag! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday
Wendy said…
That's the same system I have. I'm making a scrap basket for each colour to sort my scraps, it's a much better system than chuck-them-all-in-a-laundry-basket which was my previous system. I've recently finished the red one and will post about it at the weekend. I'm doing each one in a different way - improv, log cabins, strip piecing etc. and using them to practice my fmq too.
Allison said…
This will make such a fun and cute little scrappy basket - the one colorway version is a great idea. I love seeing the ranges of shades within a single color. Super stash buster idea!
cspoonquilt said…
I love the wonkiness of the first one and the colors are great too! cheers!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more