Skip to main content

Sewing Shindig 2019

Two weeks ago I had just got home from a really fabulous weekend. It was full of laughter, sewing, amazing food, very generous gifts and some of the most amazing people! I spent the weekend in the middle of nowhere near Church Stretton in Shropshire for the Sewing Shindig. Two and a half days of nothing but sewing and eating! It was lovely to meet, or catch up with some of the lovely people I chat to online every day!
Not my photo - Pennie's!
There was the option of taking two classes: I decided not to do the full day class and instead worked on my Fancy Forest Owls - here they are all together - one is a little sheepish - we were talking too much and I had a bit of a whoopsie. But he's so cute, and resulted in such laughter that I couldn't bring myself to unpick him!

I also worked on my Kinship quilt, my penguin parade quilt, my tall tales quilt... on the second day I took part in a brilliant class with @mrs_moog - more on that in another blog post. I saw so many beautiful things made by my fellow shindiggers I would love to make, that The Committee may see a few new starts in the coming weeks. If you are on Instagram then check out #sewingshindig2019 to see some of the amazing sewing that happened.

Not my photo... it might be Pennie's...
There were four swaps over the course of the weekend: something handmade, something edible, something quirky (make your partner laugh for under a fiver), and some haberdashery. You gifted to the same person for all four  over the course of the weekend, but secretly until the final gift (the handmade item) was handed over on the Sunday. Someone else was making for you.

I was very lucky to recieve from Kelly @the_orriginal. She totally got me with a mug instead of edible items (#michelinamntostickman continues), a "Badass" pin, fabric wrapping, small pouches.... ad a fabuous pouch of her own design in lovely Alison Glass fabric.



I was making for Sarah @lavenderbluehandmade. Here's the pouch I made her:


It's an upsized Lola Pouch (pattern by @sotakhandmade): it's the first time I've used this pattern but I love that the zip binding gives you a flash of colour and a touch of class. I will definitely be using this pattern regularly! I embellished it with a Baby Brimfield in Liberty and solids on one side and a hand-embroidered mandala on the other (pattern from Urban Threads). It's then all hand quilted with a denim base. I have to say I was pretty please with it and I think Sarah liked it!


Oh and there's a little hand embroidered zipper pull as well!


See you again next year Shindiggers!

Comments

Marly said…
That sounds like a wonderful weekend; just what a busy Mum needs!
Emily said…
Looks like an amazing retreat. Love that sheepish owl!!!! Too funny--yes, keep him!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more