Skip to main content

Count Down to Christmas

I have been very busy this weekend, and unusually, I have stuck to one project all weekend: my Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt in the Moda Countdown to Christmas fabrics. I started this last month as a class at our local shop and we concentrated on blocks with flying geese units. I had completed the first four and was ready for the half square triangles. Yesterday in the class we did block#1 Tulip to introduce us to half square triangles while still doing some flying geese units. I am loving this quilt - it's so straight forward after the Farmer's Wife Blocks and the Nikki Tinkler blocks.

I got mine finished just after lunch so made a start on block #3 Star Choice. The challenge of a Jelly Roll Quilt is when a bock requires two light coloured strips for the background and you don't have two strips of the same fabric. It makes me think out of the box a bit, and how I can place different fabrics to get the effect I want. In this block I used the cream fabrics with stripes: black stripes round the outside and green stripes in the cenre. If I'm honest, this isn't my favourite block. The other challenge/problem with a Jelly Roll is with directional fabrics - it isn't possible to have them all going the same way.





Then I did block # 5 Rolling Pinwheel: again challenged by different light prints this block is very busy (and poorly photographed) but I like this one. If you were using fat quarters of this fabric you could do some great fussy cutting to get the words "love" and "joy" right in the middle or a block. I was back at home by the time I finished this one.That was yesterday. Today I started again. First block was #6 Union Square. I think this is my favourite. It's the only block in this quilt to use quarter square triangles - I love how easy it all is with the 90/45degree multi rule from creative grids.
Block #7 Spiral was next - I knew this would be a tough one if I left it to last. I slightly rearranged the placing of the pieces (this is the only block where I've made this kind of change, though I was tempted in a few of the others). I like how this one turned out too. Again I was challenged by the light fabrics - I've used three different ones. Block #9 Card Trick: this block could have done with some more green in it. It seems almost plain against some of the other blocks.Block # 4 Rolling Stone: I like how this one turned out, though I wasn't sure. Once again, I used two reds instead of one.And finally # 2 Rocky Road. I left this one till last on purpose as it seemed to be the block most suited to adding in lots of different fabrics i.e what I had left. In the instructions, 4 different fabrics are used: I used four different creams and three different reds plus a green and a black! And the result is wonderful - I love it.I bought the sashing and border fabric yesterday, so I may have a finished quilt top by the end of the week. I'll use some of the left over Jelly Roll to make cornerposts, and there's still loads of small pieces from strips left over, so I might do a pieced backing. It would also be an excuse to buy some more of some of the fabrics in the range and use bigger pieces so you can see the full print.

I'm now feeling very Christmassy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more