Skip to main content

A finished quilt top!

I have a finished quilt top!!!!! Ok - so the blocks are panels.... but it's still pretty cool. The panel (I think it's Robert Kaufmann) was going cheap in my local shop: it must have been the end of the bolt and two of the eight panels were incomplete, so I got it for only £2. Then I spent far more getting the sashing and borders, and the turquoise was from my stash. Hopefully this quilt top will be one of the first that I quilt on my new machine that I will be picking up next weekend. I'll trim down the two panels that were incomplete and use them in the backing somehow. This quilt is a Christmas present for a little boy called Aidan. (My glamorous assistant refused to take his Xbox headset off while holding my quilt so I've cropped him out).






Another piece that will be quilted on my new machine is this cushion front that I made yesterday at a class. It's from the Nancy Halvorsen book Jingle all the Way and the fabric is Moda Countdown to Christmas - so it matches my jelly roll quilt. It's not quite like the pattern... but it was my first attempt at machine applique. On the subject of my jelly roll quilt - the front is nearly fully pieced - I just need to add the final border.
And of course, I have done the next two blocks from the Farmer's Wife: # 86 Squash Blosson (no idea why it has this name). It's turned out ok.And #89 Steps to the Altar: This is one of the ones I'm not keen on - there's a few so I need to start getting them out of the way. I've picked colour scheme I really like to help.I've also made a start on my Christmas presents this weekend - this year is all about Mug Rugs. Some of the recipients check this blog, so I'll have to be careful what I post before Christmas. Check back on 26th December for a monster post of everything I've had to keep secret!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more