Skip to main content

[Finish] Skill Builder BOM

Well here it is - my first quilt finish of the year! This is the Skill Builder block of the month, which was run by Pile O'Fabric back in 2013.

I started this quilt on 17th January 2013 and the last time I touched this project (according to my blog) was April 2014. I had to give my study a good tidy over Christmas and came across the blocks I'd made and was surprised how much I'd already done. I packed it away again, finished tidying, moved on. But those blocks kept coming back to mind so I dug them back out. I even managed to find the box of fabrics I'd carefully curated all those years ago - wow there were some treasures in there!

I worked out that if I was content with a 16-block layout, instead of the originally planned 20-block layout, and if I was happy to use the "spare" block created by one of the techniques, I only needed to piece two more. So I did. Both were foundation pieced:



Then all the blocks needed to be quilted - I hadn't made as much progress on this particular element of the quilt - looking back at my blog posts from 2013, it seems I was having issues with my machine not wanting to behave when free motion quilting, so there was lots to do. The quilt is constructed using a quilt-as-you technique, which meant it was much easier to do intricate and interesting quilting on each block without struggling to manoeuvre the whole quilt through the machine. Here are some of my favourites:




I have to confess that some of the quilting decisions on the last few blocks were influenced by the lack of thread on the reel (and no more grey in my thread stash)!

I backed each block with a different fat quarter from my 10-years-ago stash, and then joined the blocks by sewing them right sides together through all layers, adding a binding strip into the seam, then hand sewing down the binding. 



It took a bit of time, but the pay-off for being able to easily do more intricate quilting was worth it. And the back looks pretty too.

I finished it off with a scrappy binding, and added those treasured fabrics back into my stash! A finish has been fettled!


Comments

It looks fantastic! And it’s lovely to be able to read (and see) more details of the process and quilt than on Instagram so thank you for the post. Hooray for finishes and the fettling of them *waves pompoms*

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more