Skip to main content

Sew Thinky Thursday [People]


SewThinkyThurs button

This week's question:

What is one regular thing you do for yourself to keep up your creative mind? Do you go to a guild, out for coffee with a friend? Are there people / activities you do regularly or as needed? 

Quilting can be a very lonely hobby - just you and a machine. And sometimes that is exactly what I need. A quiet house, a cup of tea, two puppies and lots of fabric - that was what happened yesterday afternoon and I loved it.
Free Motion Quilting is one of those tasks best done
when "lonely" - hubby can't hear the telly over my machine!

Patchwork can also be a really sociable event! At our local quilt shop we can end up in hysterics - I'm talking about you, Sue and Suzy!
Photo from Kim: Me (on the far left and mostly not in shot), Margaret,
who had spent most of the day trying to convince them that
 the doll they were making didn't really want bright pink bloomers,
and Suzy and Sue very proud of the dresses and bloomers they had made!
Though I think Kim, Margaret and Nicola who work in the shop have to go and lie in a darkened room afterwards! Or just sewing with MIL or AIL (Aunty-in-Law) quietly at home. Through quilting I have met some wonderful people and made lots of friends. And that's without even touching on what happens online.
Linda (MIL) and Aunty B (AIL)
I once read a very cheesy saying in a cross stitch magazine: "I cannot count my day complete til needle, thread and fabric meet." And even though it is really corny, it's kind of true. Every day I try to find some time to sew, even if it's just a few seams - it's more to relax than to get the creative juices flowing.
A little EPP is great for when I only have a few minutes
I made this for a swap and I am seriously tempted to make one just for me

And walking the dogs is also time for me to think about the projects I'm working on and the projects I want to work on.

Charlie (Archie got a photo in yesterday's post)
What about you?

Comments

Peekaboo Lucy said…
Your local fabric shop looks amazing! I also love your saying. So true! Have a fun day.
Stella Nemeth said…
That really is an amazing quilting shop. Wish I had something like that here.

Sabrina said…
Oh my gosh, how tiny are those hexies in your swapped EPP sewing machine?
Julzie said…
I'm the same, I NEED to sew, even if it's just a bit, every day, it helps calm me.....I'm also lucky that I have 3 quilty friends, I sew with me all day Tuesday and sew with the other 2 on Thursday's, and we take the odd class/course at our local quilt store........I can't even begin to tell you about the very dear friends I have met online through quilting who I talk to everyday......it is a wonderful hobby, one you can do by yourself with friends or even with strangers, who immediately become friends :)
Jennifer Lowe said…
I really love the sewing machine made with the hexies. What size are they? They look super tiny!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more