Skip to main content

Buggy Quilts [two finishes]

Months ago I picked up six fat quarters of Petite Street from Dashwood Studios. I knew I wanted to make a hexy blanket for Mia's buggy.

I made this blanket with flannel on the back and no wadding - perfect for balmy summer evenings... but I had loads of hexies that I had already basted, and hadn't needed for the first quilt. So I decided to make another quilt.

To make it a bit different, I decided to pick up some background fabric and applique some hexy flowers. I used the leftovers from the first quilt backing to make the second, so this one is pieced, and again it's flannel with no wadding. The background fabric is a Moda Essential Dot and I free motion quilted strings of pearls top to bottom.

Once I'd finished the applique on the second quilt, I still had hexies left. At the start of the summer I'd been using a muslin (a lightweight loosely woven cloth normally used to mop up baby sick) to cover Mia's legs in the buggy on sunny days, held on  to the buggy with pegs. As a certain little lady has got older, she has become more interested in everything around her. Including the pegs. I found a clean muslin, ironed it (I never iron them), and attached a double row of hexies onto the muslin, to weigh it down a little in the summer breeze. I then bound it and added the same loops of binding to attach it to the buggy.


We used the lightweight cover at Sidmouth and it worked a dream. It also gave Mia something to chew in her buggy...

Unforunately I finished the muslin before the second blanket, and as I hadn't planned to make the muslin, I didn't have enough binding fabric - hence the splash of aqua binding on that second hexy quilt...And the second hexy quilt was on my list at the start of the quarter and is yet another Finish Along finish.

Finish Along 2014

Comments

Lovely quilt. An idea to follow, the flanel background without wadding, especially here in Greece. Great for summer evenings!
Lin said…
Three lovely makes Jennie. I have used fleece on the back of a lap quilt instead of batting and backing. It does not slip around so much and is quick to wash and dry. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more