Skip to main content

Modern Alphabet [a finish]

Back to finishing ways - I have three to share with you over the next few days!

First up is my favourite (at least for today). My Modern Alphabet Quilt. The pattern is by Tula Pink and is for a lap size quilt. Although I love the quilt, I didn't want this as a lap quilt - certainly not with that much white in our house! So the pattern sat and was forgotten for a long time.

Until I shrunk it to make a (fairly large) wall hanging. The fabrics sat on my sewing table for a while. First with blue, then without blue, then blue without green... it wasn't until I added in the orange and pink (originally I was just going to use one of them, but I couldn't decide) and decided to go with green that I was happy. It's also one of the few quilts I've made with only solids. I also had an inkling I wouldn't be quilting the background very early on - so instead of leaving large areas of background at the start and finish of the alphabet, like the pattern, I pieced in some colour. I have never had to use a seam ripper so much in my life. The bottom corner was ripped out three times - twice was my fault, and once was the iron's fault.

It was the quilting that really attracted me to this quilt. I love the way simple piecing is turned into letters by adding the quilting lines. Without quilting, the A is just a half-square triangle and the E is just three rectangles. I started quilting it last weekend. And hated it. I started again on Monday and tried something a little different: instead of using the walking foot, which I find hard to keep accurate, I used a regular foot with a longer stitch length. This meant I had greater accuracy. I also left gaps: originally I had planned to quilt all of the colour, but by leaving gaps, the letters are clearer. At least I think so.


The finished quilt is 33" x 28". The fabrics are Kona solids in Honey dew, pear, sour apple, kiwi, clover and kelly (greens) and School bus (orange) and cerise (pink). The background is Art Gallery Pure Elements Snow. I also bound it in the Art Gallery with a splash of pear. It's quilted in Aurifil 50w 1114 (a beautiful green!). It's backed with Ikea Britten (lots of my quilts will be over the next few months - I splashed out and bought 6m)


And this finish is another from my Finish Along List for quarter 3. You can find my original (lengthy) list here.

Finish Along 2014

Comments

Lin said…
I like it Jennie - different, but I like your colour choices and the splash of something extra. Wee done you for persevering. xx
Lin said…
Well not wee!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more