Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday [Mix Tape]

I am loving nap time. Mia had a morning nap and an afternoon nap totalling 3 hours yesterday and today. So with chores done and washing on, I sat at my sewing machine and sewed. And sewed. I pieced six more Mix Tape blocks from Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine. This started off as a spur of the moment decision to make a single block and turn it into a mug rug. Then I made another one. Then I made a mini one. Then I made a few more, and now I have fifteen and a definite plan - so watch this space.


I really enjoyed picking the fabrics for these blocks. I picked the four coloured fabrics within the blocks quite carefully but with no reference whatsoever to the existing blocks. Until this morning, when I needed to make one more and asked for help on Instagram - red was missing!


Some of my favourite fabrics are included: Comma, Botanics, Art Gallery (oval Elements, Floral Elements, Indian Summer, Dreamin Vintage, Textures, and Legacy), Happy Mochi Yum Yum, Kona Solids, Pearl Bracelets, Color Me Happy, Tula Pink, Architextures, and a couple that I don't know what they are, but love them - especially the purple "reels" top left and the same fabric in green second down on the right - any ideas what these fabrics are and where I can get more? The text fabrics are harder to name as most of my fat quarters have the selvage without the name, but I know there's some Noteworthy from Sweetwater, and that fabric with instructions for making a pillowcase.... I was amazed that I had enough texty fabrics of the right scale. In the end I was struggling to find circular prints for the reels.

One of my favourite blocks with my accidental fussy cutting!
At the start of this project I made a mini version of the block.

This won't make it into my final quilt, but I am seriously considering a mini with nine of these little blocks for the IG Mini Quilt swap. So I'm not quite done with this block yet!
A little more accidental fussy cutting!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday!

Comments

Sure like your Mixed Tapes. I've not seen that before.
Sew cute and bright. Takes me back a few years!
Melissa said…
OMG! I love your blocks. They are super adorable. I will have to try this block out.
Laney said…
These are so cue and colorful! What a fun idea.
Laura said…
This is a super cute idea! Love it!
Pam@SewingWilde said…
The mixture of colors is beautiful, love them all together
I just made one of these blocks for my MQG's zipper pouch exchange. As soon as I saw the pattern, I knew I'd have to make one! Just think... it won't be too long before people don't even know what these are! :)
pennydog said…
I'm so glad you made a red one :D
Anonymous said…
How adorable!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more