Skip to main content

One Day, Three Quilts

Thursday was a great day for quilts. I finished three! That is not something that happens often.

The first finish was the big yellow giant which refused to be basted nicely on Monday. It's so large that I can't photograph it. I'm hoping to take some really good pictures this weekend - I just need it too stop raining and stop blowing a gale. So watch this space for a post all about it.

In the meantime I also finished two baby quilts! The blue and pink quilt for Ellie-Jo made from Color Me Retro is now finished.

This started as an "I love that fabric" moment when Color Me Retro first came out and before I knew whether Jane was expecting a boy or a girl - I'd been admiring plus quilts online so I made a piece 20" x 20" and wondered what to do with it. Luckily it was a girl (who will probably be a bit of a tomboy) so dark pink and blue is perfect. I made it bigger - 36" x 24" and then ignored it for a while. I finally got round to layering it up and decided to quilt 1/4" from all the seam lines.

I finished it off with binding in Pure Elements Fresh Water - the blue is perfect and I love this quilt.

 Ellie-Jo is a fabric baby and loves to fall asleep clinging on to a piece of fabric - maybe we have a quilter in the making! And best of all, Phil and Jane seemed to like it (Jane hadn't been keen on any quilts and was told E-J would be getting a quilt from Aunty Jennie whether Mammy liked it or not)!

This is one of my second quarter finished! So in a few weeks time I'll be linking up with Leanne.

she can quilt

The second baby quilt is definitely not eligible for the Finish Along - I only started it last Saturday! I put my 60 degree ruler to good use and made this quilt, which I'm calling Murmurations because it kind of reminds me of a row of starlings sitting on a fence (in a very stylized way) - also I just like the name which is the collective noun for a group of starlings - Mum has her very own breeding programme in the back garden and the squabble over the food like naughty toddlers.


This one is 45" x 36" and the fabrics are a total mixture from my stash: Backyard Baby, Pearl Bracelets, Architextures, Comma, Robert Kaufmann, Riley Blake, Gingham Safari, Kona Solids, Art Gallery Oval Elements, Painters Canvas, Sweetwater and some totally random fat quarters.

Comments

Leo said…
Congrats on the finishes ... sometiems oyu just have a roll for finishing - luckily usually a "I want ot try this"-roll starts immediatly afterwards so you won't ever feel like you don't have a thousand UFOs to work on ...

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more