Skip to main content

Another weekend, another wedding

It's been a busy summer and it ended last weekend with the wedding of my brother, Robin, and his fiancee, Michaela.

Michaela had worked so hard to plan the wedding and had made a lot of the decorations herself, including over 60 origami cranes (which I kept calling geese), which were hung in a curtain behind the top table...

...the favours - small viles of champagne flavoured tea which she filled and labelled herself, and home made biscuits...

...her sister had made bunting...

...the bridesmaids spend the day before the wedding fluffing the tissue paper pom poms you can see...

...there were jars in all different shapes and sizes with lace for flowers and candles... and polaroid photos

My parents on their wedding day and my Granny as a young girl

And we spent all of Sunday morning laying this out in the venue, before the wedding at 12noon. I was rushing around like a mad thing!



But it was worth it - the venue looked spectacular.

As did the bride and groom.
My Mum and Dad with the newlyweds
Growing up, I was the family member that loved languages, and my brother hated them. The down side of marrying a girl from Sweden was a groom's speech in both English and Swedish. He did an admirable job!

Some Swedish traditions were included in the reception: for example every time you dinged your cutlery against a glass the bride and groom had to kiss. Every time Robin left Michaela at the top table alone, any men were allowed to go and give her a kiss - turned out it worked when Rob was left alone too - he got kissed by the men as well! And another Swedish tradition was that any one could give a speech. So I did. In which I introduced the assembled company to his childhood cuddly toy, Otis - well someone had to embarrass him.
I am holding Otis hostage until Mummy has done her speech!
It was a wonderful weekend for everyone, finished by a family picnic in Mum and Dad's garden on the Monday before driving home exhausted!

Comments

Lin said…
What a beautiful wedding - so much more personal when the decorations etc are all done yourselves. Lovely. xx
Sarah said…
A beautifully decorated wedding. Good on y for giving a speech!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more