Skip to main content

Swooning in a Crowd [a finish]

Oh yes - another one! This is one project which went through a lot of changes.

The original plan was nine 6" swoon blocks in a traditional setting. I cut all the fabric. Made three blocks. Put it away. Had a baby. Pulled it out. Made another two blocks. Decided I was bored. But five blocks doesn't get me very far and I had loads of fabric ready cut. One Saturday evening I sat and randomly pieced together the remaining cut fabric.

I then spent several evenings trying to put these random pieces together, limited by having only a fat quarter of the grey background fabric left. This is a kind of piecing that I DO NOT enjoy. It makes my head hurt.

The resulting quilt is not entirely successful. I've called it Swooning in a Crowd because the Swoons don't stand out - which is a shame given how much work goes into them. The cross hatch quilting doesn't help - it hides them even more... I added a little hand quilting - just lines here and there. But again, the thread maybe just lacked a little contract with the background colour.

Although the finished quilt fell short in a quite a few places, I do like the finished piece. It's not huge - 26" x 24" - so I've added a few loops on the back and Mia can have it on her lap in the buggy during the winter.

The fabrics are Kona Silver for the background, Nana's Flower Garden from Red Rooster Fabrics, Pearl Bracelets, Kona solids, Architextures, Sketch, Grunge from Basic Grey and Oval Elements from Art Gallery. It's quilted in Aurifil 50w 2600 and Finca #16 perle threads. It's bound in Kona solids and backed in from Urban Zoologie for Robert Kaufmann.

This is another Finish Along finish from my epic third quarter list.

Finish Along 2014
And it's my September goal for a Lovely Year of Finishes!

Comments

Shauna said…
very very cute, I love the backing fabric
mumasu said…
I really like this little quilt, it's very modern but traditional at the same time and the colours are really pretty :)
Heather North said…
You may not like it as much as you hoped, but I LOVE it! It has such a modern feel to it. The creative way you have pieced it together, along with the colors you used, are what caught my eye on the ALYOF blog. I'm super impressed you were able to get this finished with a baby. I remember those days well and it was always hard to find blocks of creative time where I wasn't too exhausted to think.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more