Skip to main content

Alba's Stars [A Finish]

We know so many people who have had, or are expecting, babies this year. Friends from university had a baby girl called Alba back in February and she needed a quilt!



I picked a pattern from Make Modern magazine - a foundation pieced star design by @quietplay. The original design resulted in a 10" blocks, but when I cut the fabric for the first block, I realised just how much fabric it would take, and because it was foundation pieced, how much I would waste. Back to the drawing board. Instead of twelve or sixteen 10" blocks I decided to make sixty-three 5" blocks. Obviously. I printed out the pattern at 50% and started piecing.


The fabrics I picked started with a random selection of fat quarters sitting on my sewing desk - thrown together from other projects. I started with the original six and added in a few more. No star is the same - every fabric is different. With an off-white solid pulling it all together. I made a conscious effort not to go all rainbowy, but stay pastelly and girly and shuffle the colour order a bit!

Even though this is an easy foundation pieced block, piecing that many takes time, and I'm prone to getting bored making the same block over and over, so it took me a few months to make enough blocks. Only to find I'd made too many!


I was a bit stumped with quilting, and eventually did straight lines about 1/8" away from each block seam line, creating a grid across the quilt. The finished quilt is 35" x 45" and I used the off white solid to bind it.

This quilt was on my quarter 3 Finish Along list, which you can find here.


Comments

It's gorgeous! And congratulations on the finish *waves pompoms* Now, what are you going to do with the leftover stars?!
Melanie said…
Love the star block for a baby quilt. Great choice and the quilt turned out lovely. Congrats on the finish!

Visiting from FAL.
www.mell-meyer.de
Leslie R said…
Wow! It looks like a simple quilt - but isn't looking at the star pattern. Love the colors and contrast. Stunning baby quilt.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more