Skip to main content

Garland City Quilts [2 Finishes]

Earlier this year, @Gnomeangel hosted another round of #100days100blocks - 100 blocks in Tula Pink's City Sampler block in 100 days. And last Christmas I'd collected together a bundle of Garland fabrics from Cotton and Steel. A match made in heaven!


Half way through the quilt along I decided that rather than make one large quilt - we already have quite a few Christmas quilts - I would make two smaller quilts and give them to the girls at the start of advent. We do advent books, where each day the girls unwrap one Christmas-themed book from under the tree.


My romanticized vision is that we can snuggle up with the advent quilts and read the advent books! Obviously that's unlikely with two toddlers.... but a girl can dream.

Each quilt is 43" x 57" and made up of 48 blocks. I sashed those blocks with Kona pepper and swore lots - I hate sashing. The backing is an Asda duvet cover, and when I realised it wasn't big enough to back both quilts I swore some more and chucked together the pieced backs you can see! In hindsight I think it makes the quilts better, but I was quite cross last Monday!

Both quilts are quilted with "organic" straight lines, one in pink thread and the other in aqua thread. I finished them up with a scrappy binding made up of the leftover fabric.

Both of these were on my Finish Along list which you can find here. I'll link this post up for one of them, and my review post up for the second.

Comments

Ella said…
Love the quilts! It's a great use of Garland!
felicity said…
They turned out perfectly! Your backing woes sound familiar - happens to me all the dang time. Including the swearing bit.

Great finishes nevertheless and I'm sure there will be Advent cuddles very soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more